Do we underestimate the importance of vision and leadership?
Is car parking cheap and easy?
I interviewed more than 200 traffic congestion professionals – policy makers, public servants, researchers, planners and engineers – about what they thought were the mistakes made in cutting traffic congestion. According to these professionals, the seven most common mistakes that professionals, Mayors and City Leaders make when trying to cut traffic congestion are as follows.
- Our alternatives to the car are unattractive
- We underestimate the importance of vision and leadership
- Our lives are created around the car
- We’re too rigid
- Our low-density land use
- Our car parking is cheap and easy
- We fail to understand the causes of congestion
I interviewed Mayors and elected members about traffic congestion issues and challenges. My research revealed that our City Leaders’ seven biggest challenges in cutting traffic congestion are:
- Providing good public transport
- Integrating transport and land use planning
- Restricting car use and car parking
- Messaging that the car is the only desirable mode of transport
- Building infrastructure for all modes of transport
- Getting businesses to stagger working hours
- Convenience of the car
What do you think? Do you agree?
Clicking ‘LIKE’ on Facebook does NOTHING (sorry to be so blunt!). If you enjoyed reading this article and if traffic congestion is a nightmare where you live please send this article to your Mayor, MP and Council.
If you enjoyed this information and want more….
My FREE e-book Jam Packed: The 7 most common mistakes and challenges we face when trying to cut traffic congestion is available here http://www.cyclingrachelsmith.com/free-stuff/
Buy my book. Decongestion is 232 pages of help, advice and information in paperback (RRP $24.95) or e-book & Kindle formats ($10) http://amzn.to/1JP64jb or http://www.cyclingrachelsmith.com/
I’m Rachel. I am the Author of Decongestion – 7 steps for mayors and other city leaders to cut traffic congestion without the expense of new roads or annoyed residents. I am passionate about helping Mayors and other city leaders to cut traffic congestion so that their/our towns/cities are lucrative, liveable and lovable.